Storyteller, Storyteacher: Discovering the Power of Storytelling for Teaching and Living
Hardcover$5 per week
Marni Gillard has told stories to preschoolers, middle schoolers, and college students, and elicited their tales in return. She's heard triumph and trauma tales from prison inmates, senior citizens, and both preservice and veteran teachers. She's witnessed repeatedly that we teach ourselves how to live by telling our stories. In this book she shares the lessons she's learned about child-centered teaching and telling. Storyteller, Storyteacher includes:
- The important difference between reading aloud and storytelling.
- How children can learn from the natural storytellers in their lives.
- How to retrieve early memories.
- How to choose the “right” story to tell.
- Strategies and reasons for the use of visualization.
- A perspective on performance anxiety and reluctant tellers.
- How less-competent readers and writers find a safe and success-strewn path to literacy through oracy.
- How oral stories help build community from the first day of school.
His book speaks to the soul of the experienced but often weary teacher and shines a light of encouragement on the path before the beginning teacher. It honors the important work of parenting and of listening to children in and out of school. It invites us all to look to our stories for lessons about educating our children and ourselves.
Your cart is empty